BROWSE FOR EVENTS
SEARCH FOR EVENTS
STAY UP TO DATE
Open Discussion: Global Visual and Material Culture: Prehistory to 1800 custom textbook
12:30pm to 1:30pm, Thursday September 20, 2012
Hosted by Dean Shailer
Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences Dean Kathryn Shailer hosts an open discussion related to the custom textbook for the course LBST 1B04, Global Visual and Material Culture: Prehistory to 1800. This discussion aims to clarify misinformation surrounding how the text was reproduced, and to give students an opportunity to raise their concerns.
The Global Visual and Material Culture: Prehistory to 1800 custom textbook combines three textbooks into one:
1. Art History, 4th ed. by Stokstad and Cothren – excerpts from the full
1150-page text. Volume One retails for $144.
2. Graphic Design History: A Critical Guide, 2nd ed. by Drucker/McVarish – excerpts. This volume retails for $92.
3. A custom reader with all the additional material we have added (which includes printed images) and would cost approximately $65 – $75 (see page iii of text for list of items).
All students in LBST 1B04 have access to the electronic versions of the full Stokstad/Cothren and Drucker/McVarish texts.
This textbook is designed to prepare OCAD University first-year students for OCAD U programs. This has meant creating a new Visual Culture reader for this new course, one that includes:
• the most relevant art history and only material that would be assigned;
• more design history;
• more Canadian content;
• more Aboriginal material;
• refocused and better organized global material.
OCAD University recognizes that costs are a major issue for students. Reproducing the sections from the Stokstad/Cothren and Drucker/McVarish texts without images realizes a significant savings for students.
We look forward to meeting with all students who are impacted by this issue.
100 McCaul St.
Please be advised that OCAD U hosted events may be documented through photographs and video. These images may be used by the University for promotional, advertising, and educational purposes. By participating in our events, both on campus and off-site, you consent to allowing OCAD University to document and use your image and likeness. However, if you do not want us to use a photo or video of you or your child, please don’t hesitate to let us know when you arrive at the event. You’re also welcome to get in touch with OCAD University’s Marketing & Communications office: email@example.com.